Thursday, March 6, 2008

Chapter 8 - Organize for Daily Writing

"We make time for what we value." (pp. 176)

This chapter contained great "teaching tips". Here are a few of my favorites:

  • Write your fiction stories at home. (I'm with 'ya on this one girlfriend!) (pp. 178)
  • Expand Your Definition of Prewriting (179)
    • (Much of skilled writer's planning takes place mentally.)
  • Have more conversations about writing. (pp. 181)
    • (I've implemented this strategy and have seen tremendous improvement in wtg. fluency.)
  • Establish criteria for writing after students have seen teacher write and/or shared writing.
  • Focus on the purpose of writing. (pp. 193)
  • Start by engaging students (pp. 194)
  • Write first and set the criteria after students have examined teacher wtg. (pp. 200)
And my favorite thought from this chapter . . . . Do more publishing! (When students know their writing will be published for interested audiences, they put more effort into all aspects of their writing.) (pp. 204)

3 comments:

janicegreen said...

Having more conversation before writing is something I have also included more of and found it to be very successful. They feel more confident about their ideas.

PHuston said...

Making time for what we value is so true to what we spend time teaching. I also liked all the teaching tips.

Mrs. Babcock said...

I loved all this chapters tips as well. I agree that writing improves after our students have had a chance to talk about what they are going to write. It gives them time and creative freedom to improve on their initial idea.