Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chapter 11 - Build on Best Practice and Research

There were two key ideas I took away from this chapter.

On pp. 260, Routman says, "Meaningful change doesn't happen in a day. It takes years of hard work, deep thought, and schoolwide collaboration." If that's the case, then what are the implications for real change at Prosperity? How do we get there? Who will lead us? Our principal, or teachers? Will professional development time be provided? I'm hoping our meaningful change at Prosperity will be an "organic approach" - one that grows from teachers, is lead by teachers, and supported at each level of our administration.

Page 276 holds comments about formula writing. "Formulaic writing leads to boredom; students are stifled by the rigid format." That's a tough one! Students have to begin writing some place . . . and need the structure. It's tough to think about not providing the structure that "formulaic writing" establishes. I've tried to do less pre-writing in my class and have relied more on other strategies Routman has provided. So far, the most effective one has been talking before writing - telling your story to a partner before putting pencil to paper. At what point will that strategy become too formulaic? Maybe what Routman is saying is that it's important to propose a variety of writing "formulas" from which students might choose. Variety is the spice of . . . . writing?!

4 comments:

Sillin Spotlights said...

Kris I'm hoping for the organic approach to instructing and sharing with the staff. I think we could really grow as a staff towards writing if we have time to spread ideas and help each other.

Mrs. Babcock said...

I think that by 'formulaic' she is referring to every paper has this many paragraphs with this many sentences in each, and every paragraph has a transition sentence to the next... ect... I think this type of writing becomes mundane and leads to boredom. By mixing up the types of writing we do (brochures, plays, summaries, reflections, journals), we will spark that creativity that hides inside our students.

Brenda Dunning said...

I feel strongly about teaching all types of writing to promote creativity and excitement for writing, but I also feel there is a place for some formulaic writing.
I believe balance is the key.

PHuston said...

Sharing before writing has helped my students, also. And we have been brainstorming, sharing great leads, etc., but the biggest difference is in me. I am encouraging and looking for positives to give them kudos for. And I no longer am reminding them to write so much, etc.