Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chapter 10 - Make Assessment Count

Ouch! This chapter hurt! "Put Rubrics in Perspective" (pp. 240)? I've re-read sections of this chapter a couple of times trying to move beyond my initial reaction to her statements about overusing rubrics. I'm just not there yet . . . is there a 12-step program for that? Sure, I agree that rubrics can be overused. But on the other hand, rubrics provide students with a clear understanding of what is expected, and should be shared with students when a project is initially assigned. Remember this phrase from several years back when we first started using rubrics, "Take the surprise out of assessment!"? That's been my mantra for a long time . . . . and I still believe it!

It's my opinion that if you're using a good rubric, you will not, over time, quash a student's creativity nor control of craft. If you're using a good rubric, your primary focus should not be mechanics. Instead your rubric should be the instrument by which you simply evaluate mechanics and all the other traits within a framework that holistically evaluates student writing. If you're primarily assessing a trait in isolation you need a better rubric. And yes, I believe you can assess the effectiveness of a piece of writing if you have a decent rubric.

For the most part, Routman and I are at odds in this chapter. However, I appreciate her statements about being realistic and humane about grading (pp. 252 - 253), ultimately working toward student self-assessment.

3 comments:

PHuston said...

Kris, I also see the need for rubrics, yet I can see the need for balance. It is not the rubric they are writing for, it is the rubric which helps evaluate the writing. Six traits has helped me feel more efficient in evaluating students' work without going overboard on one trait.

Sillin Spotlights said...

You sure said it all! I particularly liked the suggestions (kind of like a mini rubric or self-check) on P. 255 to use with the kids when they are finished writing. I like rubrics in writing which have carried over into our science lessons and projects. The kids are used to them and it does provide them with a clear purpose and definition of what is expected.

janicegreen said...

I personally like what rubrics do for my students. They know where they stand with me. I think it also helps them evaluate themselves.